Monday, January 11, 2016

Persistence pays off

Today, as I sit in a little internet cafe in a small fishing town, I finally figured out how to get to my
blog site to post to you.

I've been frustrated in my futile attempts and it was because I needed to remove the email address of the previous owner of the computer in order to write.  All is well now.

I arrived here on the beautiful azure blue Pacific Ocean almost two weeks ago.  So much has happened that I wanted to share, but couldn't.  Now I can.

The first evening after the eight hour drive from San Miguel, I simply wanted to watch the spectacular sunset and unwind.  I did.  It doesn't take long when you have such incredible vistas.

The sunset was extraordinary.  I have photos. My next test is to figure out how to post them on the blogs.  Patience, please.

As we sat there enjoying the display, a totally unexpected surprise happened.  A wonder of nature!

LIGHTNING BUGS.  I have not seen them in at least twenty years and that was last in the Texas Hill Country.  But, even there, it was not anything like the show we had the other night.  Oh my, I was like a kid in a candy store.  Exclaiming and oooohing and aaaahing.  What a magical night.  I have seen them every night since on the side of the mountain in the trees that abut the property of my friend John H.

Spent a few days in Manzanillo the first weekend.  The weekend right after New Years Day. Oh my, it was packed with tourists.  That is an understatement.  Having never been in the city, I was astonished at all the US branded companies with stores there.  I was visiting the new person who has leased the guest house and is leaving Manzanillo.  She graciously invited me to spend a few days at her condo on the beach.  Fun time.

Back at nature central,  I firmly gripped my binoculars and returned to enjoying the views of the bay.

Yesterday we were all rewarded with views of the WHALES blowing and breaching!  First you see the blowhole of water going up in the air.  Then you see the back of the whale and exclaim in amazement.  But the best part is when the whole darn thing comes out of the water and then it kinda flips its tail as it goes back down.  This went on for over an hour.  I was beside myself.  Yes, I've seen it before, but I don't think two years ago the whales were this big.   I'm on a "Nature trip", par excellence.  What a gift.

There are all kinds of other adventures to share with you, but that's enough for today.  Hopefully by the next time I post, there will be photos too.

Adios from Calechosa!


7 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I am glad you are up and running.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

We're happy to see you're enjoying all that the coast has to offer. It's cool and windy today in the hills but there is not a cloud in the sky. We love your beautiful home.

Retired Teacher said...

Great to hear that you are not just having a good time, but are having some amazing experiences! Enjoy!!
Greetings from Mérida where my stay in the Yucatan is drawing to a close.

sparks_mex said...

Nice to finally meet you Babs

Barbara Lane said...

Oh I love lightning bugs! We always saw them at my grandparent's when we'd visit as children (in rural Appalachia) - and once in Japan we dined at an outdoor restaurant lit solely at dusk by fireflies! It was the most magical thing I've ever experienced. Your post brought all of that back....I've not thought of them (or seen them) in years. Oh how wondrous they are! Thank you for conjuring the memories....

Life's a Beach! said...

We saw lightning bugs in Roatan for the first time in years. We were told by the owners where we rented not to touch them because the type in Roatan will zap you and leave a burn. I have no idea if that's true, but we decided to believe them. Ha! As kids in Kansas, we ran all over town at night collecting them in jars with holes punched in the lid to make lanterns. Then we set them free later.

Babs said...

Each night I lay in bed after the mosquitoes chase me inside and watch the lightning bugs and the most amazing night skies I've ever seen. With no ambient lighting and no pollution, the stars are so bright and zillions of them!

Lightning bugs bring back many childhood memories for me and of my children as children as well. Wish Matilda and Sebastian were here for the experience.....